Sunday, April 20, 2014

"...old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new"*

A friend of mine asked via social media what was so good about Good Friday; Jesus Christ being crucified and all that (my words not his). He ended his question, by clarifying that it was a serious one. I know this friend pretty well, and it was a serious question.

He is of the Muslim faith and I am of the Christian faith. We have learned a lot about each other over the years with mutual admiration and respect.

His post got several answers. Some explained in brief. Some explained, but came off as a bit chiding. Some knowing that an intelligent and opened minded person asked the question, responded in kind. I simply thanked him for asking a serious question.

With all the intra and inter-religious-related violence in our modern world today, it's important, more than ever, that we each try to teach and learn from one another with humility and openness. It's important we treat each other with courtesy and respect. It's important to emphasize what we have in common, instead of emphasizing what we have in contrast.

I'm blessed in the sense that growing up partially in Nigeria, literally living next to Muslims (as I do now, coincidentally enough), that growing, learning, and living in a community of co-existing faiths is normal for me. While I know not everyone is in the same place, I also know the bridges we have in common can help bring us closer together towards healing our world, one connection at a time.

*2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments: