Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Celtics Put The Green Back In The Garden

Oh yes, sweet seventeen! What can I say? It's nice, really nice. The last time the Celts got to raise a banner, I was in high school. And yes, the favorite rivalry was against the Lakers. Except it was Magic (Johnson) leading the way and not Kobe (Bryant). I couldn't bear to watch most of the 2008 Finals because the emotional rollercoaster was all too familiar to me.

Finally, I did succumb and watched most of Game 5, until my wife shut me off for "excessive oratory volume." Plus, I actually dove across the rug, mistaken in the belief that I was the Celtics sixth man (number 36?). They lost, I grumbled. However, fate would have it no other way than for the final game to be in Boston, in the Garden.

Oooooh it was electric, even watching from home the energy was contagious. Even my wife got into it.

In the end the Lakers had no chance. The Boston fans were the sixth man (number 17?) and it was just like the days of Bird, Parish, McHale, D.J., and Ainge, three-pointer city.

While I'm happy for Garnett and Allen, I'm most happy for Pierce and for those of us who remained in Boston waiting at least twice as long as he did. Thanks guys, for putting the green back in the Garden.

No comments: